What is baptism?
It is a symbol of your new life as a Christian. When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside.
- The old life has passed away and a new life has begun. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- By our baptism, then, we were buried with Him and shared his death in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead we also might live a new life. Romans 6:4
It is a symbol of your identifying with Jesus’ death and resurrection.
- Christ died for our sins… he was buried and he rose again. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.
- For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ. Colossians 2:12.
Baptism does not make you a believer; it shows you are already one! Baptism does not “save” you, only Christ does that as you trust Him. Baptism is like a wedding ring – it’s the outward symbol of the commitment you made in your heart.
- For it is by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9.
Who should be baptized?
Every person who has made the genuine faith commitment to Jesus should be baptized.
- Those who believed and accepted His message were baptized. Acts 2:41
- But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news… and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both mean and women. Acts 8:12
- Simon himself believed and was baptized. Acts 8:13
The one requirement for baptism is belief in Christ! We do not baptize children until they are old enough to understand and believe.
How should you be baptized?
Like Jesus was baptized–by being immersed in water. The New Testament Greek word “baptize” literally means “to dip under the water.” It is the best way to picture a burial and resurrection. Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion in water.
- As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up and out of the water. Matthew 3:16
- Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water… Acts 8:38-39.
Why should you be baptized?
Jesus commanded it.
- Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. Matthew 28:19-20a
Because it witnesses your faith in Christ to your family, friends and neighbors.
- Many of the Corinthians who heard Him believed and were baptized. Acts 18:8
Because obeying Christ’s command shows you know and love Him.
- We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands. 1 John 2:3
Because it demonstrates your commitment to the local church.
- Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – and all the more as you see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25
When should you be baptized?
- After personally trusting in Jesus as your Savior and prepared to live as an authentic follower of Christ.
- When you understand the symbolism of union with Christ in death and resurrection and realize it adds nothings to your salvation experience.
- After you have met with one of Hillcrest’s pastors to affirm your understanding and readiness.
Contact the church office to schedule an appointment to meet with one of our pastors.